Friday, April 4, 2014

Five Minute Friday-- Writer

It's another Lisa-Jo Baker Five Minute Friday  http://lisajobaker.com/ (she just wrote an awesome book)--- write for five minutes on the word given.  Today's word:  Writer. 

What does it mean to be a “writer?” Does it mean you have to be published? Does it mean you have to have perfect grammar?  Does it mean you need your peers approval or better yet acclamation to bear the title? Do you have to get paid to do it?

Or can it just be a hobby? One you may or may not be any good at but brings you joy...or at least satisfaction... I've never really considered myself a writer. But now writing is a large portion of my job. Does that make me a writer? I don't know. But I like to do it.


I think a writer is one who records thoughts, stories, events, emotions and more. Many people do it really well. Many writers are able to touch their readers and change them. If I can do this even for one person, I would be happy. But in the meantime, I enjoy recording thoughts, stories, events and emotions.


Five Minute Friday

5 comments:

  1. "I think a writer is one who records thoughts, stories, events, emotions and more." That is why I write but I still struggle to call myself a writer. Thank you for sharing your thoughts today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for commenting! it is hard to claim the name! I wrote it and erased it many times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post Julia! I imagine that many of us tried to define writer as we read the prompt. I began with a perfect "YIKES!" kind of moment. I feel like I can handle almost any prompt, but that one...oh was it ever hard. So many times I thought about the fact that if I am not making a living from it, then I can't claim it. But really, a calling is from God for His purposes. If His purpose in my writing is simply to heal my own heart, that is enough. If His purpose is to touch another's heart, that is enough. God has a perfect plan, and I am glad that you and I and so many others are not waiting for the world to say "go ahead you can claim the title." Keep sharing! Keep writing! I'm just visiting on Saturday from FMF. Glad I got a chance to check in. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear the hesitation (maybe since you already "told" me about it, or maybe because I lived it for so many years). Based on your own definition of a writer, that is you!! Thank you!!
    ~Stacy Voss, coming from FMF
    www.eyesofyourheart.com

    ReplyDelete